Ampezzo is situated in the Tagliamento valley at 560 metres above sea level between the Tagliamento river and the Lumiei stream.
The town was mentioned for the first time as “vicus Ampicio” in a document of 762. Characteristic houses with arches and pretty churches enrich the town centre. The Cathedral of San Daniele Profeta (Saint Daniel the Prophet) preserves important paintings by Nicola Grassi (1725) and a precious Baroque altar by Giovanni Saidero from Venzone (1641).
During the period of the Patriarchs the characteristic local building style became established with many examples, which are still visible, of the typical houses of Carnia, which significantly developed the local handicraft and trade exchanges.
Among the mountains that surround the valley, Mount Tinisa (2120 m a.s.l.) – the highest in the municipality – stands out for its grandeur.
The conformation of the territory provides many hiking opportunities both at a high altitude, in the thick Forest of Ampezzo on the Pura Pass, and on the valley bottom, in the Biotope of Cimacorso.
Worth a visit are the Palazzo Angelo Unfer, which was the seat of the Governo della Zona Libera della Carnia e dell’Alto Friuli (Government of the Free Area of Carnia and Alto Friuli) in 1944, and today houses the Photo and Document Exhibition dedicated to the Italian Resistance movement; Carnia’s Geological Museum with a rich display of fossils and rock samples; the Marco Davanzo Picture Gallery, dedicated to this landscape painter from Ampezzo.
For additional info please visit: www.turismofvg.it/Locality/Ampezzo